Friday, February 6, 2009

Valentine's Day - are you ready?

February is always a busy month for me! I have a lot of Birthdays, Anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, and other celebrations going on for the whole month of February. I decided that since everyone LOVES my truffles why not send them year after year and that way, I can make everyone happy at the same time and reserve a little “me” time. What you are going to read below was actually written by me years ago for a magazine and thought it totally appropriate for this year, since everyone seems to be as busy as I am. ENJOY!

By the way, in case you are all wondering if I kept my New Year’s Resolution…. I am happy to report that I did and am still doing it. It has been a soul cleansing experience not swearing and I may even write about next time.
Be My Valentine
The Raw Valentine by Angela Elliott

While everyone is out running around in a mad frenzy, here are some ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day a bit more romantically and creatively. Last year for Valentine’s Day, I made my son and Husband each a box of chocolate truffles. I decorated an old cigar box with hearts and I love you’s, and on the inside I put candy paper wrappers filled with truffles. I enclosed a handmade card that told each one how much I loved them, my favorite things about them, and I included a favorite photo or two of us having a wonderful time together. I wrapped everything up in a recycled gift bag, placed tissue paper inside and then tied it up with ribbon. Here’s the recipe, so you too, can give your loved one a gift, they are not likely to forget!

Angela’s Top Secret Chocolate Truffles!

1 cup raw walnuts

2 tablespoons agave syrup

1 tablespoon vanilla flavor by Frontier

1/2 cup pitted soft dates

1/4 cup coconut water

2 tablespoons of raw carob

2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs

Blend all the above ingredients except for the raw cacao nibs in a food processor until smooth. Mix in the raw cacao nibs by hand. Shape the mixture into truffle shapes, sort of like an egg shape. Dip each truffle in a mixture of 1/4 cup powdered raw cacao, 1 tablespoon raw Rapadura brand sugar, 1 tablespoon raw carob and 1 tablespoon raw coconut flakes. Grind the cacao, with the sugar, carob and coconut in a coffee mill or spice mill until it becomes a fine powder. Place each truffle into a paper candy wrapper and let sit in the fridge until ready to pack in a box. These keep well in the fridge or freezer, but can be left out initially for a few hours to give as a gift.

essential oil in actionI love romance! Every year, I pick roses from my garden or ask a neighbor if I can pick theirs. I spread rose petals all over my living room, then I light candles and place them all over the living room and the kitchen. I will usually buy a small bunch of daffodils or tulips for the kitchen table. I love Frank Sinatra for every romantic occasion because let’s face it, no one does romance like Frank! Don’t forget the importance of a bath for two. Only if your kids are out of the house of course.
The Bath for TWO

Bath salts

1/2 cup baking soda

1/4 cup Epsom salts

10 drops cinnamon essential oil

10 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil

Put baking soda and Epsom salts in a food processor and grind into a fine powder. Transfer powder to a bowl and add the essential oils and stir well. Spoon mixture into a glass jar.

Dinner is usually a three course event starting with a salad, the main event entree and finally finishing with dessert.
Salad Starter

Think Green (with a touch of hot pink, it’s Valentine’s Day after all!)

6 cups of your favorite mixed salad greens

1 avocado, cubed

1/2 head of radicchio, chopped

Edible flowers and sunflower sprouts

2 green onion, chopped

Arrange the salad greens on each person’s plate, then place the radicchio, avocado, and green onion on each person’s plate. Surround the salad with edible flowers and then top the salad with sunflower sprouts on each plate.

Dressing

2 cups almonds, soaked and drained

1 clove of garlic

1 cup of cilantro

Himalayan salt to taste

Cayenne to taste

3/4 cup water

Blend everything in a blender until smooth and drizzle over individual salads. For a thinner dressing, add more water
The Main Event

Ravioli with Alfredo

2 cups almonds, soaked and drained

2 cups zucchini

2 teaspoons Himalayan salt

1 clove fresh garlic

2 teaspoons oregano

Process the above ingredients in a food processor until creamy. Transfer creamy mixture to a bowl and add 1/2 cup minced sweet onion and 1/2 cup minced bell pepper by hand to the mixture. Leave large butter lettuce out long enough to wilt, remove the heavy center vein . Place 1 tablespoon of mixture into each lettuce leaf and roll to wrap up tightly.

Sauce Ingredients

2 teaspoons mellow un-pasteurized miso

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1/2 cup raw pine nuts

1/2 cup cashews soaked at least one hour and drained

1 clove fresh garlic

1 teaspoon dried oregano

Himalayan salt to taste

Black pepper to taste

1/2 cup nut milk

1/2 cup zucchini, peeled and chopped fine

Nutritional yeast to taste

Parsley for garnish

Blend everything except the parsley in a blender and blend until smooth. Place four raviolis on each plate and top with Alfredo sauce. Garnish all around the plate with parsley and serve.
strawberries250
The Finale

Strawberries and Whipped Cream (from the best-selling book, Alive in Five)

1 cup macadamia nuts, soaked and drained

1/2 cup water

5 pitted soft dates

1 teaspoon agave syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla flavor by Frontier

1 tablespoon cold pressed Nutiva brand coconut oil

Blend all the above ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Dip strawberries in the decadent whipped cream and smile at your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails