Friday, May 1, 2009

Vegetables – Growing Plants under Cover

Vegetables – Growing Plants under Cover
by Diana Greenwood Mead
April 27, 2009

http://www.supermarketguru.com/index.cfm/go/sg.viewArticle/articleId/438

At this time of year, when I am starting off my vegetable and salad seeds, and the weather blows hot and cold, rainy and sunny, I realize how useful my cold frames are - the added protection starts the little plants off so much better than just sowing in the ground and hoping everything will be all right.
If you are new to vegetable gardening, you’re probably thinking ‘what on earth is a cold frame?’ well, let me explain, and perhaps add a lot to your gardening pleasures.
I raise many of my seeds in a small electric ‘window sill’ propagator which warms the seeds and gets them going (although, if you have one without a temperature control, you have to remember to switch it off on a warm day).
But I then have quite a lot of very tender baby plants which would simply die if put straight into the garden, so this is where my faithful cold frames come in.

To read the full article: http://www.supermarketguru.com/index.cfm/go/sg.viewArticle/articleId/438

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails