Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why this vegan loves the summertime

Why this vegan loves the summertime
by Catherine Capozzi
June 28, 2009
(below is link to full article)

It's Arizona. Temperatures are expected to reach 108 degrees today. And yet... this vegan adores the summertime. Why, pray tell?

1) Inexpensive produce is in abundance
Finally, strawberries, peaches, melons, avocados, and a slew of other fresh goodies are available. But oh, ranier cherries, I have yet to justify purchasing you when the cost is still $6.00/lb. Gas prices are indeed higher, but this bill is at least offset by the lower prices for some great food. In fact, those wishing to transition into a raw vegan diet are never given a better time than in the summer given the variety of foods to eat.

2) My car can function as a dehydrator
Yes, I use my car as a dehydrator to make all sorts of raw vegan goodies. Using my oven inside destroys vital nutrients, and I’m too stingy to spend 100-300 on a dehydrator to make crispy raw food. While the smell of garlic and rosemary can be a little offputting when I get into my vehicle, I can make flax seed crackers on the cheap. When people say metaphorically, “it’s like an oven getting into my car,” I mean this rather literally. Seriously, mash up some flax seeds, add some water and seasoning, spread it out onto a baking pan, set it in your car in the sun for about 6 hours, and you have yourself some flax seed crackers. No dehydrator or electricity required. One can also make banana chips, fruit leather, or some raw vegan cookies in their car. I personally do not brag about this creative resource to other people (who will likely think I’m a dirty hippy, which is true)… even if I do think it’s pretty ingenious.

3) Smoothies… sweet, lovely smoothies

To read the full article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-4348-Phoenix-Vegan-Examiner~y2009m6d28-Why-this-vegan-loves-the-summertime?cid=exrss-Phoenix-Vegan-Examiner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails