Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why My Vasectomy Will Help Save the Earth's Resources

Why My Vasectomy Will Help Save the Earth's Resources
By Matt Leonard, Earth Island Journal
June 10, 2009

http://www.alternet.org/story/140543/

Last year, I became castrated impotent sterile. That is, I had a vasectomy. While it's actually a very common procedure (nearly 500,000 are performed every year in the US), it raises eyebrows -- and a lot of questions.

The first one is always simply: Why?

Although this was a very personal decision for me, it was also a choice I made out of larger societal, political, and environmental motivations. I consider the environmental ones paramount. In an economic system that demands infinite growth with finite resources, not doubling my own consumption is one small stone in a big river.

More importantly, I live in the US, and any child I had would have been raised here and would consume (despite my best efforts) far more resources than I am comfortable accepting. Living even a modest lifestyle in the US comes as a direct result of the oppression, domination, and deaths of many unseen people, not to mention the exploitation of natural resources at rates that threaten the ability of our planet to sustain life. These facts shouldn't be cause for guilt or shame; instead, they should spur us to organize to confront the systems and institutions that have created these problems. On a personal level, contributing another person to the system that I have spent my adult life fighting is just not something I'm willing to do.

To read the full article: http://www.alternet.org/story/140543/" target=_blank">
http://www.alternet.org/story/140543/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails