Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is Balsamic Vinegar Poisoning You?

Is Balsamic Vinegar Poisoning You?
Studies show concerning levels of lead, which can cause permanent brain damage when children are exposed, in certain vinegars -- even high-end aged balsamic varieties.
By Jane Kay
Environmental Health News
11.9.2009 Link to full article below

In a tradition dating back to medieval times, growers in Modena, Italy, are deep into the grape harvest, the first step in making their famed balsamic vinegar.

Cooking the trebianno and lambrusco grapes releases rich juice that is then stored in vintage barrels. At least a dozen years of fermentation and evaporation reduces the wine to a sweet, fragrant elixir, the pride of a gastronomic culture.

Thousands of miles away, in California, signs in grocery stores warn shoppers about exposure to a dangerous metal in many balsamic and red wine vinegars. The way they are produced, or perhaps heavy metals in the soil, leaves some vinegars tainted with lead, a potent neurotoxin.

Please read the full article: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/lead-balsamic-vinegars-47110902?src=nl&mag=tdg&list=dgr&kw=ist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails